PV system affect on home re-sale [RE-wrenches]

Doug Wells dwells at solar-works.com
Fri May 7 07:38:24 PDT 2004

Domains as low as $4.95!
Limited Time! ICANN Accredited GoDaddy!
http://click.topica.com/caaccM5bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ GoDaddy

Wrenches,
You would think that it would be in the interest of the realtors to present
renewable energy systems as "valuable".  Therefore, the property will have
more value, which means a larger commission in their pockets.  I wish
everyone's motives were pure and they could see the environmental advantage,
but larger commission checks are as motivational as doughnuts.
Many states have passed laws that prohibit an increase in property tax due
to the installation of a renewable energy system.  The new owner will have
to pay for the system investment, but at least it is tax free for 10-15
years.  I can't speak for everyone's taxes, but  10 to 15 years tax free
greatly increases the value of energy savings.  So our industry needs to let
the realtors know that they can make a little extra $$$ if they "sell" the
value of a renewable system to a new owner.  As stated previously, the real
value is in the green energy savings, but a few extra bucks for the realtors
might sweeten their perspectives.  Then we can keep our heads in what we
enjoy doing most, while not having to worry about second and third owners.

Doug Wells
Solar Works