PV system affect on home re-sale [RE-wrenches]

Nick Nicholas APS at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Fri May 7 00:33:21 PDT 2004

Let University of Phoenix make 2004 your year. Evening,
weekend or FlexNet® classes – over 130 locations. Look
into our programs and get the degree that gets you going!
http://click.topica.com/caaccMPbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ UOP

Hi Todd, Mo, and wrenches:
    Todd, I am not very surprised that, because some customer's are
intimidated by the complexities of a battery based inverter back-up system.
It seems that for many residential, grid-tied solar customers, battery based
systems are too complicated; except for engineer types.  However, it is
worth letting those customers know that the equipment can be easily sold
used for thousands of dollars, so they might as well wait until they own it
to remove it.  On the other hand, I know many people who have paid extra for
solar systems.  People do value the low electrical bills , and they would be
crazy or ignorant not to (I heard that solar stuff leaks???)  I can't
imagine a seller who would hire a realtor who considers the system a
liability.
    Also, Mo, it seems that a 1:20 ratio is too high.  That means that it
would take 20 years to pay the system off, even before calculating servicing
and interest payments on the mortgage.  Using that formula, the new owner
would be paying as much or more as the system cost's new (before rebates or
tax credits.)  If the system had a large battery and back-up inverter, I
could imagine some individuals would pay a 1:20 ratio.  I use a 1:10 ratio
for battery-less systems, and that seems optimistic.
    This gets back to the old talk about what the payback on solar is, In
CA, high energy rates allow us to focus on payback as a viable reality.

Alternative Power Systems
www.alternativepowersystems.com
aps at sbcglobal.net
135 Colfax Ave.