PV system affect on home re-sale [RE-wrenches]

John Raynes john at raynes.com
Thu May 6 08:33:34 PDT 2004

Graduate in less than 13 months with AIU’s Online virtual
campus. Classrooms and student service as close as your
computer. Highly accredited, study anytime – anywhere.
http://click.topica.com/caaccM2bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ AIU

Hello all,

I know a lot of wrenches don't like to focus on return-on-investment
considerations for PV, but...

One question that I've pondered a bit, and that I'm getting asked by
prospects is, how much will a PV system add to the re-sale cost of a
residence?  Here's the way that I'm telling my customers to look at it:

What they will be selling is a house with lower year-round energy costs
than the typical house of that size and type. I don't know if real estate
agents or appraisers have a way of factoring that into the value of the
house, but they should. New home buyers always look at what monthly payment
they can afford, and a lower electricity bill will make any given home more
affordable, like offering an interest rate buy down.

I also believe that for grid-tied houses, a battery-less system will more
likely add value than a battery system, for the obvious reasons that a
battery system adds maintenance (and other) issues for the future
homeowner, that he or she may not be looking for in a new home.

Any thoughts, or data in this regard from the CA market?

Regards,
John Raynes
RE Solar
Torrey, Utah
www.re-solar.com

Cancel your low-carb diet. Lose weight. Choose your own
foods. Learn more about our program at:
http://click.topica.com/caaccM7bz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ Dr. Smith

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm