EMT through attic? [RE-wrenches]

Nick Lucchese nickl at sierrasolar.com
Mon May 3 10:21:48 PDT 2004

Let University of Phoenix make 2004 your year. Evening,
weekend or FlexNet® classes – over 130 locations. Look
into our programs and get the degree that gets you going!
http://click.topica.com/caaccMPbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ UOP

Greetings Fellow Wrenches,
  Can someone please direct me to the rule that requires that EMT be
run through the attic. I have an install that has quite a significant
run of conduit through the attic and there is only one access point
in the middle of the house. The bendable characteristic of PVC would
make the job so much easier since the attic is such a maze of truss
cords. If I am to use an estimated 120' of EMT there is a very high
probability that I'll have to cut the 10' EMT in half and use a bunch
of couplers to rejoin them. I'm also looking at removing a gable vent
to feed the ten footers in but that would require crawling through an
additional section of the house that I could otherwise avoid. Somehow
I took the owner's word that the attic is "wide open and very
accessible" and now I'm paying the price. I (half) learned the lesson
before not to go on someone else's word but figured I could trust his
opinion since he's a general as well and he built the house himself.
He gave me the common attitude that I shouldn't have to use conduit
at all even though I told him from day one what the job would
require. Years ago I used PVC in this situation but it seems I recall
of a fire code and not necessarily part of the NEC that requires it
to be EMT since the roof is not an accessible point for the DC disco.
Any references as to where I can find this rule or recommendations
are appreciated. Tomorrow is the lucky day I get to crawl around and
sweat the job out and I'm itching already.

  Thank you to all for the combined knowledge,
                                              Nick A Lucchese

Buy Stocks and Index Funds for just $4 No Account or
Investment Minimums and No Inactivity Fees Automatically
invest weekly or monthly and build your future.
http://click.topica.com/caaccMMbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ Sharebuilder

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com