PV buydown policy request [RE-wrenches]

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection econnect at snowcrest.net
Wed Apr 28 07:57:34 PDT 2004

Need to find the right school to fit your needs
CollegeInformation.info has already found it. Get educated
on your future – degrees, financial aid and more!
http://click.topica.com/caab8Lbbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ College Info

Brian, Bob, Allen, ETAL,
Agreed, agreed, agreed.  The front end loaded incentives are ever
worse than we've been discussing. What they do is maximize the PV in
relation to the inverter. When there is a financial incentive to do
that, it's going to happen nearly every time. It's utterly stupid in
every way but financially because of the way the incentives are set
up.
Good electrical practice is to load things up only to 80% of
capacity. We do that with conductors, bussbars, etc., all the time.
Every published inverter curve I've ever seen shows the sweet spot of
maximum efficiency somewhere around the 75-80% of capacity line. It
just stands to reason that inverters (or any other electronic device,
for that matter) will last longer if run at 80% rather than 100% of
capacity. Heat kills. Screw five year warrantees, the SYSTEM should
last 20 years. In a production credit situation, the design criteria
would be maximum efficiency and long life, not this bullshit upfront
buydown. This is something the Wrenches "wing" of SEIA (and CalSeia
in particular) should be focusing on. If the maximum allowable PV PTC
watts were limited to the nameplate watts of the inverter, not only
would systems last far longer, but the public benefit monies would go
about 10% further. That ain't hay.
Bob-O (the Grinch)

--
Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection
PO Box 203, Hornbrook, CA 96044

Let University of Phoenix make 2004 your year. Evening,
weekend or FlexNet® classes – over 130 locations. Look
into our programs and get the degree that gets you going!
http://click.topica.com/caab6aBbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ UOP

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com