Decra Roofing [RE-wrenches]

Jerry Caldwell solarcowboy at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 21 15:13:06 PDT 2004

Let University of Phoenix make 2004 your year. Evening,
weekend or FlexNet® classes – over 130 locations. Look
into our programs and get the degree that gets you going!
http://click.topica.com/caab6aBbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ UOP

Hi Mo,

We have done installs on this roofing product.  It's
made by a few manufacturers and goes by a few
different names.  Up here in the Bay Area it's usually
called Cal-Pac.  Most often we see it over shake
roofs.

3/8" x 10" hanger bolts into the rafters is the way to
go.  Seal the penetration into the metal tile with
construction grade polyeurethane like SikaFlex and
maybe even mush a fender washer over the hanger bolt
down into the Sika to protect it.  Double nut on the
machine thread side of the hanger bolt to use as a
head when spinning them into the rafters.  Then
suspend your mounting rail between the nuts with
fender washers.

Hope this helps.

Jerry
Light Energy Systems

--- Mo Rousso <mrousso at heliopower.com> wrote:

> Wrenches,
>
> I have a customer who wants to install a PV array on
> the roof of his home.
> However, he has a roof I have not yet encountered.
> It is a Decra/Typhoon
> tile roof.  It is basically a thin gauge metal that
> is stamped into
> scalloped tile sections and coated with a very rough
> material -- similar in
> texture to asphalt comp.  It is end-nailed into 2X2
> runners.  This whole
> assembly sits upon an existing asphalt comp shingle
> roof which I understand
> is in good shape.  The new Decra roof completely
> covers the old roof.  Due
> to the 2X2 runners, there is a gap between the metal
> tiles and the existing
> roof.
>
> Has anyone run into one of these before?  If so, how
> have you attached to
> the roof.  I normally use ProSolar products.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Mo
> --
> Mo Rousso
> President
> HelioPower, Inc

=====
Jerry Caldwell
NABCEP certified PV practitioner
Light Energy Systems
510-205-2798

http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/print_splash

Give Your Team Access to Their PCs from Anywhere. Increase
productivity with a secure remote-access solution from
GoToMyPC Pro. Stay in touch with your office. FREE TRIAL:
http://click.topica.com/caab6awbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ ExpertCity

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com