homeowner's insurance and pv [RE-wrenches]

Jerry Caldwell solarcowboy at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 12 09:52:13 PDT 2004

Bounces like rubber! Shatters like ceramic! Discover Crazy
Aaron's Thinking Putty in grown up handfuls. It's the
creativity unleashing, mood enhancing desk toy!
http://click.topica.com/caab7pJbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ Crazy Aaron Enterprises

Wrenches;

I have a customer who has had a straight grid tied PV
system on her house for about two years.  She just got
a letter from her insurance company saying that her
policy has been cancelled and the only way to
reinstate the policy is to either pay $1000 extra per
year or remove the system.

She doesn't know how the insurance company found out
about her system.  When she called them to ask about
their decision to drop her policy they expressed
concern over damage from hail stones and the
possibility of fire because the panels get so hot.

Has anyone else had similar experience?  Is there any
legislation that could protect PV system owners in
situations like this?  I intend to bring this to the
attention of the national and Cal SEIA's.  I
appreciate any info y'all can share.

=====
Jerry Caldwell
NABCEP certified PV practitioner
Light Energy Systems
510-205-2798

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

Your opinion counts! We’re conducting a survey for a
computer service/repair company. When you complete our
survey, you will also be entered into a drawing for one of
ten $100 prizes. Just click
http://click.topica.com/caab6Pibz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ Val Rad
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm