Matt's OB Installation [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Sat Apr 10 16:32:46 PDT 2004

Your opinion counts! We’re conducting a survey for a
computer service/repair company. When you complete our
survey, you will also be entered into a drawing for one of
ten $100 prizes. Just click
http://click.topica.com/caab6PVbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ Val Rad
Matt, Joel and all -

Fortunately, the experience Matt Tritt had with his system has not been
the norm - I think its one of those "when it rains it pours" situations.
I talked with John Rodgers (Dooba) here at OutBack and he agreed that
Matt had a bad week... The first failure was probably caused by the
numerous backfeed overcurrent trips of the inverters prior to getting
the stacked inverter system programmed correctly - the second problem
may have been collateral damage caused when the first unit failed.  We
will be looking into this more.  We also do have additional instructions
available on the programming of "quad" systems (and larger) and are
working on even more instructions - but always feel free to call us and
ask questions - just like Matt did - at OutBack you can talk to real
techs and engineers to answer and solve problems (what an idea, huh?)

I also agree there is always room for improvement - and we are
interested in what you, the installers, see as areas to improve. Due to
the extreme flexibility of the OutBack inverters (being able to connect
in series, parallel, series-parallel, three-phase, paralleled
three-phase...) you won't just "pull something out of its shipping box,
put it up and away it would go doing just what it's supposed to do".  If
that is required, then I suggest that you consider buying the
preassembled OutBack Power System panels from one of the OutBack
integrating partners who are able to prewire, preprogram and test the
system before it is shipped out to you.  They can save both save you
money by eliminating forgotten parts and by reducing problems on site,
etc.  Or you can assemble your own power panel at your shop and prewire
and test it ahead of time.

A contrast to this situation is the OutBack inverter system which Joel
mentioned that is powering the Audobon Society's off-grid office
building in LA.  Wade Webb and I fired this up late last August and the
inverters have worked without a hickup since then.  This is a
series-parallel configuration of eight OutBack VFX3648s with dual X-240
autotransformers, all mounted in custom PSR enclosures outdoors. The
system has been operating for the last eight months on 100% solar -
there is no on-site back-up generator (although provisions for temporary
connection of one has been included).  This system runs numerous pumps,
fans, controls, lights, alarms and regular office items such as
computers, phone systems, laser printers and copiers as well. It is a
great example of what today's solar technologies are capable of.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems
cfreitas at outbackpower.com
19009 62nd Ave NE