Cooling 8 Sunny Boys [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater clrwater at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 6 23:35:41 PDT 2004

Your opinion counts! We’re conducting a survey for a
computer service/repair company. When you complete our
survey, you will also be entered into a drawing for one of
ten $100 prizes. Just click
http://click.topica.com/caab6PVbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ Val Rad
Hi All,

Anyone out there have

Before the sunny breeze was introduced, I installed 4 sunny boys with
a cooling fan set up consisting of a tranformer-based 4 A, 12V power
supply powering four 12 V, .6 amp ball bearing fans controlled by
running the AC input to the power supply through a standard line
voltage make-on-rise thermostat mounted above one of the sunny boy
heatsinks. It also powers a fifth fan for the power shed.  It's
worked perfectly for almost 2 years.

Now I'm adding 4 more sunny boys to the shed and coincidently while I
was pondering how best to expand the system the power supply failed.
It may have failed because the on-time is high since it senses
ambient temp - not heat sink temp.

So my options as I see it:

1) Tear that all out and buy 8 sunny breezes - $700 and live with 3
wall warts with questionable life
2) Buy four more fans, a 50 watt solar panel and run them direct.
$400.    Concern:  Fans will have short life if run during all
sunlight hours without heat sink thermostat control.
3) Buy a high quality solid state 8 amp power supply (like a
MeanWell) and four more fans and either move the thermostat closer to
the heat sink or get a heat sink thermostat rated to the AC input
amperage and control the power supply.

SO QUESTIONS:

1) Does anyone know of a reliable off-the-shelf heat sink mountable
thermostat that can handle the amperage of the input of the power
supply (perhaps .1 amp at 240VAC or 2 amps at 120) (I've used
standard electric water heater thermostats in the past for custom
solar hot water systems - their double pole double throw so you can
use one side for make on rise - Thier temp range is about right and
surely can handle the amperage - but are really bulky and
unprofessional looking! (and no way to cover exposed wires)

2) Does anyone have experience with high reliability fans and/or
power supplies and/or heat sink thermostats?

3) Generally what do we think the life of a sunny breeze is?  Is it
the fan or the wall wart that'll fail first?  How long?

Any help before I go out and spend money would be most appreciated
from such esteemed colleagues as you.

Best,

Jeff C.
Jeff Clearwater
Village Power Design Associates
http://www.villagepower.com
jeffc at villagepower.com
Sustainable Energy & Water Solutions for Home & Village

NABCEP Certified PV Installer

Office:  (413) 256-6777,  Cell: (720)480-8455
Fax:  (413) 825-0372
61 Baker Road
Shutesbury, MA 01072;
PO Box 115
Boonville, CA  95415
(877) 765-2784

Council Member - Ecovillage Network of the Americas - http://www.ecovillage.org
Advisory Board - Living Routes - Ecovillage Education -
http://www.livingroutes.org
Founder:  Ecovillage Research, Development, and Demonstration Program:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~clrwater/RDD/rdd.html

Sign up to get FREE information from leading colleges!
Compare degrees, admissions, financial aid and more.
Study your career education options at
Collegeinformation.info.
http://click.topica.com/caab6aibz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ College Info

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com