Inverter Shoot-Out continues [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Thu Apr 1 09:00:40 PST 2004

INSTANT CAR INSURANCE QUOTE!
Save time, save money, and get the best deal.
Get quote, buy, and print insurance cards online!
http://click.topica.com/caab599bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ Insurance4usa.com

Joel,

Although those values seem low, measuring the dc losses at the battery is
the wrong place to measure losses. Ultimately, the big losses are in having
the inverter running all night trying to put a tiny amount of current into a
full battery to keep it charged. It takes nearly nothing to float charge an
AGM VRLA battery, that's why they're used for float service. However, the SW
draws about 45-50 Watts continuous at night to maintain the slightest
current on the battery. If you have a dual inverter system, the situation is
far worse.

For larger arrays, the 45-50 Watts, although a bummer, is not a huge impact.
On my system it about 4% on an annual basis. If you have a much smaller
array (say 1 kW STC), those losses will be huge percentage-wise (nearly
20%). Turning the inverter off is the key. The question is how quickly you
can start in the event of an outage. I'm content with my dumb old system
that has worked great for 5.5 years, but there is plenty of room for
improvement.

Bill.