Grounded for two weeks...hopefully longer [RE-wrenches]

Geoff Greenfield Geoff at Third-Sun.Com
Thu Apr 1 07:40:46 PST 2004

**** Bounces like rubber! Shatters like ceramic! ****
Discover Crazy Aaron's Thinking Putty in grown up
handfuls. It's the creativity unleashing, mood enhancing
desk toy!
http://click.topica.com/caab593bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ Crazy Aaron Enterprises

I agree that this is an area of big potential improvement...

We currently use stranded bare #10 with crimp lugs and "green" screws to
bond all panel frames, rack and poles, with #6 solid and tinned mechanical
lugs where we are "subject to abuse"...  My personal array has 7 years with
the crimp lugs starting to rust but still good mechanical and electrical
connection.  Probably not going to last 30 years!

I like the zig zag through SS screws approach that was posted- especially
for flush mount roof jobs - will be trying it!

Here is my question? - On the concept of using racking AS grounding (with
star washer for positive connection) I have heard of large arrays doing this
and passing inspection.  Specifically - BP supplied and installed a 25KW
ground mounted affair that used galvanized steel racks made out of tube
steel posts and a primary E-W strong back, then with unistruts attached to
that and panels attached to that.  No grounding other than the "steel"
racking.

Now, congregation, please open the good book and turn with me to the
grounding 250:verse 136...

And the NEC said ye shall ground the panels... and it was good....

Ok... seriously:

Looking at NEC 250.136 we see exception A for "non-current carrying metal
parts" - "...secured to or in electrical contact with a metal rack or
structure provided for its support and grounded by one of the means in
250.134.  (metal frame of a building doesn't count for AC equipment)"

250.134 then discusses conductors or methods, referencing 250.118.

250.118 is types of grounding conductors - listing wire, but also includes
cable trays and gutters listed for grounding (referencing 392.3C and 397.7)

I am assuming that unistrut and other struts are listed as grounding
conductors and this is how this system passed.  Perhaps in addition to
asking the PV manufacturers to broaden their grounding methods, we should
approach UniRac and the rest and get their products listed as grounding
conductors.  I would rather string a #6 along a large array bolting to every
second unirac rail, or even the steel substructure!  Am I correct that our
answer is already in the Code and we just need to come up with a way to
comply? (like switch to unistruts until the racking companies get with the
program?

Perhaps some comments from Pastor Wiles...?

Sincerely,

Geoff Greenfield
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer TM
GLREA Certified Photovoltaic Systems Integrator/Installer License Number
0211-01

THIRD SUN SOLAR AND WIND POWER Ltd.
340 West State Street, Unit 25
Athens, OH 45701