EMT - UL Heads Up [RE-wrenches]

Matt Tritt solarone at charter.net
Tue Mar 16 16:01:02 PST 2004

This is sure to get a rise from someone, but on one of the first PV jobs
I did back in 80, I worked with an "old time" electrician who insisted
that the couplings on our underground run be left un-glued at the lowest
point in the trench. He said that this allowed the water, which would
inevitably show up in the conduit, to find a way out. PVC was pretty new
at the time so I don't know where he got his idea.

I thought that what goes out would also come in the same way, but I've
never had a call-back, so who knows.

I have also had very good success with oxidation prevention by painting
PVC with good latex house paint. This can look really crappy if done in
a hurry.

I would like to add that PVC, being non-conductive, has always seemed a
lot safer to work around than e.m.t after getting hit a couple of times
from old e.m.t. installations with ground faults.

Matt T