Arc Fault Circuit Breakers on SW iinverters [RE-wrenches]

Nick Nicholas APS at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Tue Mar 16 12:42:41 PST 2004

Hello wrenches:
    We (APS) have powered off grid home which we have provided electrical
contracting services for the residential wiring and solar / equipment
wiring.  As you may know, Arc Fault Breakers are required for bedroom
receptacle circuits.  The AFCI Breakers can be tested with a device which
causes an arc, and makes the breaker to trip.
    The problem that we are having  is that the AFCI tester will not cause
the breaker to trip in time.   The SW-5548 inverter is feeding a T-240,
therefore we only have 25 Amps available at 240 VAC at the residence.  This
may not be enough current available.  The county inspectors have resisted
giving the home a final electrical inspection.
    Has anyone else seen anything like this?

            Nick Nicholas
            Chief of Engineering
            Alternative Power Systems, Inc.
            135 Colfax Ave. Grass Valley CA 959545