EMT - UL Heads Up [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Mon Mar 15 16:14:33 PST 2004

Mo and William,

I would take anything that a Carlon representative said with a grain of
salt. They are in the business of saying that their product is as good or
better than EMT. Show me an unbiased engineering study done on the two and
we'll talk. Waterfront environments aside, most of California has extremely
low corrosion rates, and I would put my bets on EMT any day. Water tightness
is a hoax that I hope UL and others get away from. Water lives in outdoor
conduit systems regardless of their composition. That is why all conductors
must be wet rated.

I'll be seeing the San Diego inspectors at their annual meeting in a few
weeks, and I'll ask them about this issue. It doesn't make a lot of sense to
me. I believe that outdoor boxes and wiring systems need drains to allow
water to escape. Putting a better watertight fitting on a conduit is going
the wrong way in my book.

Bill.