EMT - UL Heads Up [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Mon Mar 15 15:14:53 PST 2004

<x-flowed>
At 02:58 PM 3/15/2004, you wrote:
>Yes, the City of San Diego outlawed EMT without the appropriate fittings
>some time ago.  They recommend PVC or rigid.  PVC exposed to sunlight for 20
>years -- yeah, right.

Colleagues:

Following up on the PVC issue:  I spoke to a representative from Carlon
some time ago about UV resistance.  Apparently it doesn't say that on the
pipe for no reason.  Any UV discoloration of PVC is only a few microns
thick.  It does not compromise the structural integrity of the product in
any way.  I'd actually like to have PVC on my roof for 20 years over EMT
(especially in any marine proximity).  Remember, beauty is only skin deep,
but rust can go all the way through!

William

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com