Solar Space Heating Storage Tank Size [RE-wrenches]

Tom Lane, Energy Conservation Services tom at ecs-solar.com
Tue Mar 9 07:27:13 PST 2004

Rules of Thumb:
*    When you exceed 3 gallons per sq. ft. of collector area you get no
benefit from additional storage.  Typically 1.75 to 2.5 gallons per sq. ft.
is the best ratio of gallons per sq. ft. if you are also space heating
during the day.
*    Make sure all penetrations are above the water level.
*    Get 30 or 50 gallon metal drums and roll form 3/4" copper type L pipe
around the drums to form a coil. Use 3 to 4 lineal feet of 3/4" copper per
sq. ft. of collector area.  Use bare copper ground wire to wire the spread
coil to a copper ground road. Pull your heat from the bottom coils to the
top.  You can buy finned coils from SEPCO, VAUGHN, or WOLVERINE COPPER - but
it is more cost effective to make your own.

Gator Tom