Net Metering and Rural Co-ops [RE-wrenches]

John Raynes john at raynes.com
Wed Mar 3 13:17:23 PST 2004

<x-flowed>
Hello Wrenches,

Utah passed a net metering law last year and we're getting inquiries down
here in So. Central Utah.  So we decided that we would be the guinea pigs,
install a grid-tie battery system on our house, and see what's involved
with our local co-op.  To date, there are no residential grid ties within
our co-op's area of service.

The good news is, they have actually drafted a net metering policy.  The
bad news is...

They're wanting to add a second monthly flat fee of $12.50 a month for the
privilege of a net metering account.  Something about the costs of
maintaining two separate accounts on one residence, so they say.  Also,
they're claiming it will cost about $700 one-time fee for the net
meter.   At .0625/Kwh retail, .015/Kwh buyback, you don't have to be a math
wizard to figure out that this is a non-starter.

I talked to the co-op's  meter guy, he was very helpful and forthcoming
over the phone.  His rationale was that they prefer to use a Landis&Gyr
meter that has a $275 cost and a $400 per unit software licensing fee.   He
claims that Landis is the only company that will give them the tech support
that they need, out here in the boonies, for the net metering
software.  They use ABB meters in most places but they claim that ABB was
difficult to deal with in getting their first Net metering site (a BLM
installation) up and running.

The people that I've talked to within the co-op so far aren't trying to
defend their policy that strenuously.  They claim that they had to come up
with some policy for the BLM site, and since the BLM doesn't do them any
favors...  They admit that they haven't completely thought through the
whole residential thing yet.  One of the people I talked to within the
co-op actually suggested that I go before the board and appeal for
changes.  Which is exactly what a group of us plan to do.  It's not a
hostile environment at all, it's just that we're all clueless at this
point, myself included.

The reason for my post is that I was hoping some of the wrenches could
reply to me off list, and let me know what the net metering application
policies and fees are with your particular utility or utilities.  I'm going
to take a "reasonable and customary" approach with my appeal, so data and
experiences from other utilities will be of great help.  Any insight on
four-quadrant net meters would also be of help, it looks as if I'm going to
have some educating to do.

I figured replies should be off list since I know this stuff has been
talked to death here at different times.  If there's interest I'll be happy
to post a summary of the replies that I get.  Thanks as always,

John Raynes
RE Solar
Torrey, UT
435-425-2110