Submersible pump loads? [RE-wrenches]

jeff at hvce.com jeff at hvce.com
Mon Mar 1 15:15:06 PST 2004

Geoff,

It just so happens I have a 400' deep well and have done a load study on
it.  Its average load is 0.582 kwh / day.  The pump is a 2 pole 3/4 hp
Franklin, 230 VAC.  The well is in pretty good shape so it seldom runs
dry (we do not have protection on the controller to stop the pump if it
does run dry).  This is for a family of 3, daily dishwasher use, never
watering the lawn, but 2 horses which do drink a lot.  My daughter's off
at college or the usage might have been a lot higher.

Jeff Irish, P.E.
Hudson Valley Clean Energy, Inc.
Rhinebeck, NY

Geoff at Third-Sun.com wrote:

> I know that there is no typical household (water use) and no typical
> well
> (head) and no typical pump (efficiency) but I am curious what off grid
> wrenches are using for well pump loads in their load analysis?  Today's
> project is a single person house with 400' head - looking at SQ with
> 240V
> T-former...  I may even rig a little plug/cord so I can leave a $35
> Kill-A-Watt meter there (rather than my fluke and an amp clamp) to get
> some
> averaged real data...  but here's hoping that some of you already have
> this
> info!
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Geoff Greenfield
> NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer TM
> GLREA Certified Photovoltaic Systems Integrator/Installer License Number
> 0211-01
>
> THIRD SUN SOLAR AND WIND POWER Ltd.
> 340 West State Street, Unit 25
> Athens, OH 45701