Gridtie, breaking grounded conductor [RE-wrenches]

Robert Warren robertwarren at mail.com
Tue Feb 24 23:00:40 PST 2004

If the PV system was one with amorphous modules instead of crystaline,
that capacitive charge that John B. and Bill Brooks speak of is not such
a small shock: it can pack quite a wallop! Apparently the nature of
amorphous cells is conducive to building up and holding a huge capactive
charge. Sure, it will zero out through your DVM, but it it happens to
zero out through your fingers, it can knock you on your butt, as friend
or mine in Scotland found out while testing a 12 kW Unisolar amorphous
system while standing on a metal roof.
 The lesson here is to always treat all wires as live. I don't think
this means that we need a disconnect on the roof, though.
 As for the location of the connection of the negative to ground (or the
suggestion that it be possible to break it), doesn't the recommended
practice of a UL listed device such as the Sunnyboy inverters
automatically supercede any new and fuzzy installation concept that
inspectors might come up with? I remember a clause in the NEC code
saying something to the effect that the manufacturer recommendations may
superceed the NEC code in terms of being more safe than Code. Let the
GFI do its job.
Robert Warren

John Berdner wrote:

> The shock the inspector experienced form the negative conductor is a
> capacitive discharge due to the small capacitive coupling between the
> array and earth (as Bill Brooks correctly pointed out).
> You can verify this with a DVM measurement from PV + to ground and PV -
> to ground with the GFDI fuse removed.
> Unless you have a ground fault the system is ungrounded at that point
> and you should see about 0.5 * Voc on each measurement.
> This voltage should decline towards zero as the capacitive coupling is
> discharged through the DVM.
> A fixed voltage that does not decline normally indicates a ground
> fault.

Check out my website on making your own fuel:
http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com
robertwarren at mail.com

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com