ground source and hydronic cooling recommendation [RE-wrenches]

Dean T. Newberry deant at dcn.org
Sun Feb 8 23:49:24 PST 2004

<x-flowed>
Hi Kurt,
commercial Tbar ceiling panels with cooling piping attached are
available from Invensys. They use active humidity control. The Kaiser
headquarters in Oakland is chilled ceiling, and it is a common practice
in burn wards. Basic rules for radiant flooring are used with heat trac
transfer plates attached to touch the drywall ceiling.
A 55F degree chilled water loop with transfer plates on 8" centers on
5/8" drywall should be able to absorb 20 btu/sqft/hour without
condensing. There are tables on the Invensys CD that lay this out. Note:
standard Chilled water loop temperatures in commercial buildings is 40F
this will condense unimaginable amounts of water and cause a mold
problem when applied to a radiant panel. Humidity is the devil in
radiant cooling designs. I would stay with AC, Invensys Radiant ceilings
or Valance convectors from Edwards Engineering in all but the driest
climates.

Kurt Albershardt wrote:

> --On Saturday, February 07, 2004 6:17 PM -0800 "Dean T. Newberry"
> <deant at dcn.org> wrote:
>

>> The heat capacity of dry sand is .2 that of water the thermal
>> conductivity is similar. I strongly recommend using the guidelines of
>> the RPA and IGSHPA. I talked to a GSHP dealer in Phoenix AZ who
>> closed down his AC business and bought a Postbox business because the
>> conductivity and capacity of dry sand made the business model fail.
>> The GSHP systems in CA that have been tested in 200 foot bores 1 per
>> ton, run excessive return water temperatures ~120 degF at peak air
>> conditioning load conditions I cannot recommend using a sand box as a
>> thermal storage device, and the IGSPHA guidline designs in this
>> climate zone have serious problems at limit conditions too.  Fine
>> homebuilding sells advertising, not houses.
>

> I should mention that my plan is to pull fresh air through a 100'
> culvert (3-4' diameter?) buried ~5' underground as a first stage,
> which will then feed evaporative cooling for the Summer and provide
> fresh air for the other months.
>

>> The most comfortable systems are the radiant chilled ceiling, radiant
>> heated floor homes with good radiant and conductive insulation.
>> Condensation in cooling is always a concern. Use glazing appropriate
>> for the climate. Use plant shading appropriate for the climate
>>
>> I am using Valance convectors for heating cooling distribution,
>> evaporative precooled high performance AC systems
>

> Any pointers on chilled ceiling setups?  Does one or more of the books
> I listed cover this or is there another good reference?
>

> --thanks
>
> - - - -

> List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

> Hosted by Home Power magazine

* Cooperative Community Energy* 	*Dean T. Newberry*

430 D Street, Davis CA, 95616
Tel: 530 758-6064
Fax: 530 758-3684
Email: deant at dcn.org