ground source and hydronic cooling recommendation [RE-wrenches]

sunwise sunwise at cheqnet.net
Sun Feb 8 11:40:38 PST 2004

I should mention that my plan is to pull fresh air through a 100'
culvert (3-4' diameter?) buried ~5' underground as a first stage, which
will then feed evaporative cooling for the Summer and provide fresh air
for the other months.

This sounds like the "earth tubes" of the past.  One problem with
drawing air through buried pipes for winter time warming or summer
cooling is condensation in the pipe.  This is bad regarding molds and
related air quality issues.  Back in the 60's and 70's, those trying to
utilize earth tubes used perforated drain tile so the condensate
wouldn't accumulate.  Where radon is present, you are essentially
setting up giant radon collection system for the home.

Kurt Nelson

> The most comfortable systems are the radiant chilled ceiling, radiant
heated floor homes with good radiant and conductive insulation.
Condensation in cooling is always a concern. Use glazing appropriate for
the climate. Use plant shading appropriate for the climate

> I am using Valance convectors for heating cooling distribution,
evaporative precooled high performance AC systems

Any pointers on chilled ceiling setups?  Does one or more of the books I
listed cover this or is there another good reference?

--thanks

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm