hydronic heating - book recommendation [RE-wrenches]

Brad Bassett bsbassett at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 2 18:12:07 PST 2004

Kurt,

The new 2nd edition of Siegenthaler is much better than the first
edition, and probably has just about everything you need to know to
design a hydronic system except actual experience (which would probably
count for alot!). Siegenthaler uses electronic design as a basis for a
lot of the plumbing circuit design, good for someone with an electrcial
background. Designing hydronic heating systems makes solar hot water
systems look easy.  I haven't seen the other book.

I'm just about done putting together a spreadsheet with the formulas for
calculating system resistance curves and plotting them along with pump
curves. Then there's the heat transfer formulas, I may not get to those.
If you are interested in this spreadsheet let me know, it's crude but
sometimes that's better than "user friendly" and rigid like all the
distributor programs are.

Brad
AEE

Kurt Albershardt wrote:

> Any thoughts on these two (or others) as an intro to the subject for an
> EE (who nearly failed thermo)?
>
> "Radiant Heating and Cooling Handbook" by Watson & Chapman
>
> "Modern Hydronic Heating for Residential and Light Commercial Buildings"
> by Siegenthaler
>

> --thanks

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com