single phase to three phase? [RE-wrenches]

Robert Warren robertwarren at mail.com
Wed Jan 21 21:01:36 PST 2004

Marco,
 I looked into single phase to three phase converters years ago and the
only ones I could find were rotary ones--i.e, a single phase source
running a motor generator which has a 3 phase output. As you can
imagine, that isn't a very efficient way to go. There must be a solid
state way to do this these days.
 My question is, which is he already using, the inverter or the pump? Is
he on grid or off-grid? If he already has 3-phase grid suppply, then he
wants some kind of backup system for his water supply. In that case, a 3
phase output gen set is a lot cheaper solution. If he is off grid, then
he could sell the pump on E-bay and get a single phase one.
 A single phase inverter can easily feed into a grid tie 3 phase system,
but to find a PV inverter that produces 3 phase, that is a much bigger
animal. In a couple more months, Ballard Power finalizes UL listing on
their new 30 Kw Ecostar 3-phase inverter. (They already have UL on the
100 kW one.
Good luck,
Robert Warren

Marco wrote:

> 'Got a customer with a Xantrex SW4024 who'd like to get three-phase out
> of
> it to run an energy efficient pressure pump.  Now I know that with a
> 120-240
> transformer 240VAC is doable.  Anyone know whether 120 to 208/120 is
> possible with an off-the-shelf piece of hardware?
>
> thanks,
> marco
>
> Marco Mangelsdorf
> President
> ProVision Technologies, Inc.
> 69 Railroad Avenue, Suite A-7
> Hilo, Hawaii 96720 USA
> (808) 969-3281, fax 934-7462
> www.provisiontechnologies.com

What will we do if there is another fuel shortage?
Did you know that there is a pollution free, completely
renewable fuel which you can use right now in your own car?
Don't replace the engine, replace the fuel.
Check out my website on making your own fuel:
http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com
robertwarren at mail.com

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com