AC kWH Production Metering Effects (Was: ratcheting cyclometers) [RE-wren

mlafferty at universalenergies.com mlafferty at universalenergies.com
Fri Jan 16 13:18:21 PST 2004

Kelly K said:

>  The amount of energy energy drawn from the batteries during
> an outage, nighttime, etc (meter forward) will always be less
> than the grid energy used to recharge the batteries (meter
> backward), due to charger and battery inefficiencies. Thus, the
> net energy recorded will always be negative for battery charging
> (remember, the goal is to accurately meter the renewable AC
> production). The meter would really go backwards when
> equalizing from the grid. Ideally the meter would record a net of
> zero for the battery use/recharging cycle.

All:  (Non-rant.  Just perspective-enhancement.)

I guess I should have said "Net RE AC Production".... Or perhaps
"Effective RE AC Production"... That's where I was coming from.  If a
Customer is interested in only the AC kWH production of their system,
then don't even bother putting in a 240 VAC meter... Put in a 120 VAC
meter on the Inverter AC Output (Inverter Out Legs on top... Load Center
In Legs on bottom) and call it a day.  Be sure it's a "ratcheted"
(detented) meter.

I respectfully disagree with Kelly K in the case of a Net-Metered
Application when public dollars are invested in the form of buydowns,
rebates, incentives, subsidies, or whatever you call them.  (Back to the
"Having your cake and eat it too" issue....)

My general reasoning for this statement is this: The public dollars are
collected and distributed under the auspices of a "Public Benefit"
charge, ostensibly intended to be used to for a "greater good" that
benefits the public at large... Neighbors, if you will.  Program
administrators are charged with a duty to invest and justify these
dollars toward that end.  We can all argue about their ability or
effectiveness in this area, but it is still the case.  They're the ones
holding the checkbook!

When we can't prove these benefits to their satisfaction, they are left
no alternative but to accept the "numbers" generated by "others".  Let
me tell you here, if you haven't already "gotten it", that their numbers
are VERY UNFAVORABLE to our cause and what we know to be true!  $0.65 -
$0.85 per AC kWH just doesn't get it!  They already "see through" and
understand the difference between counting only the "Green Generation"
without consideration for the "Net".  They would much rather monitor the
"Net" on only battery-based applications than good non-battery systems!
Fact!  (I'm NOT saying battery-based systems are "bad"!)

In the case of a Grid-Connected, Net-Metered, Subsidized PV System, the
System Owner is the real beneficiary anyway.  They invest money in a
system for their own homes and businesses, but their neighbors are
investing in that system too!  While we on this list know that the
Public is benefitted by the Environmental and Distributed Generation
benefits, Utilities, Regulatory Agencies and others refuse to credit the
DG Aspects... Broad "generalized" statements of "XXX #'s of CO2 are
avoided" and "XX # of homes" are claimed, but truly hard to accurately
prove on an "across the board" basis.

In the case of a G-C, N-M, Subsidized Backup / Battery System, trying to
prove or take credit for only the "RE Production" without counting the
charger and battery inefficiencies is actually lying about the value of
the Public Benefits of the system.  In the cases where the "Net AC kWH
Production" is negative due to charger and battery inefficiencies (Using
Kelly K's example....), so is the Public Benefit, including the
Environmental benefits!  I really hate to say that, but it is true!  The
ONLY beneficiaries to the subsidy are: PV & Inverter Manufacturers,
Battery Manufacturers, BOS Manufacturers, Retailer / Installer, and the
Customer.  NOT the neighbors!  <Flame Shields UP & Secured!>

I further contend that claiming this "artificial production" falsely
inflates what is ultimately claimed as "efficiency" by Inverter
Manufacturers.  These same numbers are pointed to by Module
Manufacturers whenever confronted with the issue of "estimating or
projecting".  When we as Integrators rely on these Manufacturer provided
efficiencies without calculating in the losses, we end up looking bad
when the Customer's monthly bill isn't as positively affected as we
"estimated".  Not just by the Customer, either!  Bad news travels fast!
(This is not just isolated to battery-based applications!)

How much of our own time is spent trying to determine "what's wrong" and
satisfy the Customer when we could be selling and installing another
one... Or more?  Ultimately this directly affects Manufacturers because
of the reduced effectiveness of our use of time selling and installing
additional systems!  Hey, even if it's conservatively only a system per
year per Wrench, that's over 200 systems per year in the states!  I
would argue that it adds up to more than "1 per year per Wrench"!
(Remember the thread from last summer / fall about "how come my 40XX
systems aren't producing anywhere near the efficiencies I thought they
would"?  My recollection is that collectively most were seeing ~70% or
less net AC kWH production... Brother Bill being the significant
exception.)

We can all sit here and argue whether or not subsidies are good or bad.
I, personally am mixed on the issue.  I believe that truly broad
deployment of PV and other RE in America's artificial electricity market
still needs some financial assistance to get there, but philosophically
hate regulatory and administrative "rules" and "meddling".  I truly look
forward to and bust my hind end working toward the day when we don't
need subsidy and are less burdened by the associated "crap".  I know I'm
not alone in this.

Effective administration and distribution of the available subsidy
dollars is essential to our "getting there from here".  Bureacratic
inefficiency and "non-expertise" related to PV combined with the
opposition of Utilities and others creates "administrative and
regulatory hurdles" that our Industry was, and to a very large degree
still is, ill-prepared to deal with.  Our best defense is COLLECTIVE
RESPONSIBILITY as an Industry.  Without this, we can't transition to an
effective offensive strategy!

This includes Manufacturers AND Integrators.  We can't rely on the
"feels good factor" to justify ongoing subsidies.  We can't continue to
viewed as "a bunch of disjointed & disorganized feel-gooders who always
have their hands out for more money" to politicos and burons.  We can't
be putting glass on shaded roofs or pointing north and expect the same
"per watt" subsidy dollars for it.  We can't be overstating efficiencies
or production projections (Manufacturers -  Are you listening?????  We
need your HONEST support here!).  We can't be installing systems that
break down.  We can't allow equal "per watt" subsidy of systems that
don't equally benefit the Public or produce equal AC kWH or, at the very
least, equal & effective load reduction or peak-shaving.  We can't allow
the "scammers" to gobble up monies for irresponsible & often overpriced
installations, leading to depleted program dollars and delays.

What CAN we do?  We can demand that Manufacturers supply us with
reliable expectations of "real world performance".  We can come up with
effective "production based" incentive program models (As a collective
whole, I personally regard the collective IQ, creativity, and
real-smarts on this list to be a tremendous resource!  I am personally
grateful daily for each of us being here and contributing.  We just
gotta be able to come up with something that will work!).  We can seek
to demonstrate our true expert status, commitment, and responsibility
through effective training and certification <Flame shields still up!>.
We can work together through established Industry Associations to come
up with a common voice and strategies.  We can "take off our competition
gloves and stop protecting our commercial turf" for the purpose of
achieving a sustainable market and value (I say it's good to put the
gloves back on outside, in the marketplace.  That's business.).  We can
learn from and model other, unrelated industries' success in areas
related to their historical growth.  We can use valuable forums like
this to share what we know, good and bad.  We can tell Manufacturers
"what we need out in the field and in the areas of documentation,
brochures, and promotion materials" and demand that they give them to us
by using the products of those who truly support us!  (Module frame
grounding versatility is a big but simple to fix example, IMHO.  Come on
glass guys!  Come on rack guys!  Come on Wrenches!  How many of us find
this to be a pain in the keester, especially on the roof?  How many of
us have truly demanded that our "preferred manufacturer" help us out
here?  Kudos to BP for their effort here!  You can do better.  Don't
stop trying!  Just giving credit where credit is due...)

If we're gonna "play on the grid"... If we're gonna "put PV in town"...
These are realities.  Absent understanding and comprehensive addressing
of these issues, we just "won't be allowed to play in their sandbox
anymore".  Plain and simple.  We are going to have to "give them
something they need"... And back it up!

This is NOT a "California only" issue!

Think about our Brother and Sister Wrenches that think they "would just
love to have good net-metering and subsidies" in their regions but
don't.  Think about the people who live in those areas that "wish they
could afford to do that"... The actions of us that have them affects
their futures, too!  The costs to the end-user are still too high to
expect widespread deployment and "near-term" cost declines without
Net-Metering and subsidies... Simple Supply and Demand.  Manufacturers
and researchers won't substantially invest in better, lower cost, and
more efficient products without a visibly viable return and
justification... Simple Supply and Demand.  Subsidizing Agencies won't
continue subsidizing without a visibly viable return and justification.
This "economy based world in which we exist" is run by Bean-Counters and
Spin-Doctors!  Face it!

We have "come a long way Baby" but we're not "there yet".  I sincerely
belive that we can and must "get there".  Meanwhile, I play the
Lotto.... Just in case I'm wrong!

Battle On... Just be sure you battle with a comprehensive understanding
of the battle(s) you are really fighting!  Installing windmills is one
thing... Jousting at them is another!

Two cents and a Palm Tree!

Matt Lafferty
Universal Energies Institute