inverter overload (was transformer inrush) [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Thu Jan 8 11:08:46 PST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Windy Dankoff, Dankoff Solar" <windy at dankoffsolar.com>

> I'm pulling out one piece from Kurt's reply to make a corrective
suggestion.
> >... Wire the primary side of the "T-240"
> >transformer through that switch so the windings aren't a phantom load
> >all day.  Best to parallel the two sets of contacts in the pressure
> >switch as you'll be switching higher current at the 120 volt side of
> >that transformer.  ...

I'm pulling out one piece from Windy's reply to make a noncorrective
inquiry.

> It won't help much to parallel the two sides of the p. switch because
> the 2 sets of contacts don't make or break exactly simultaneously.
> One set of contacts will take the full current during the make or
> break. The only way to prevent contacts from welding or burning is to
> use a "heavy duty" p. switch (or a relay) rated for 2X the current of
> the pump.
>
> Windy

Windy, I think it was you who advised wiring the two sets of pressure switch
contacts in series with DC to reduce arcing. It seems to me that this would
be just as effective with 120V AC as with DC, even granted that AC is far
less prone to arcing.

Allan

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com