puzzling performance [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater, Village Power Design clrwater at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 5 11:21:13 PST 2004

<x-flowed>
Hey Mo and all,

I had predicted 2050 KWh/month for the Glen Ivy (Corona - near
Riverside) 11.2 KW (STC) plant (has single axis tracking).  In
actuality we harvested just under 1800 KWh/month.  We interpolated
between Barstow numbers and LA numbers.  Since it was the first year
I didn't know if I had just been overoptimistic.

I'm familiar with the NREL and DOE sites to look up the 30 year
average data for insolation tracking sites.  But where does one find
what happened last year at those stations?

Best,

Jeff C.
Village Power Design

>Hi All,
>
>I can't really comment on the LADWP article since we are further south in
>SDGE and SCE territory.  It looks like Graham hit the nail on the head with
>respect to performance vs installation constraints.
>
>On a slightly different tack, I have noticed that 2003 was a poorer year for
>harvesting solar resources than, say, 2002 -- even beyond module
>degradation. In the range of 30%, especially during the summer.  Any other
>SoCal wrenches see the same thing?
>
>My home system usually produces 18kWh/day on a nice clear summer day.  I was
>not able to exceed 12 kWh.  The panels were clean and the array was tilted
>for latitude (DP&W TPM pole mounts). Solar insolation turned out to be less
>than normal.  This was verified by my trusty Daystar -- 600 to 900 w/sq.m vs
>1000 to 1200 for previous years (on an heuristic average, I might add --
>pulled meter out and measured when able, etc).
>
>It appeared to me we had poorer climatic conditions than normal -- unusual
>high cloudiness, additional periods of extended marine layer, and smoke from
>numerous wildfires.
>
>So even when we do everything right with respect to siting and installation,
>Ma Nature still throws a few curve balls.
>
>--
>Mo Rousso
>President
>HelioPower, Inc
>760.451.9374
>www.heliopower.com
>
>- - - -

>List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

>Hosted by Home Power magazine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeff Clearwater
Village Power Design Associates
Sustainable Energy & Water Solutions for Home & Village
http://www.villagepower.com
gosolar at villagepower.com

877-SOLARVillage
413-256-6777,  Fax 413-825-0372