puzzling performance [RE-wrenches]

graham at solarexpert.com graham at solarexpert.com
Sun Jan 4 19:47:38 PST 2004

Kevin,

I have responded to the reporter, Editor and Op Ed department.
Hopefully they find my response worth investigating.

The reporter called me about 10 days ago, claiming to be an
“environmental reporter” seeking to do a “positive” article about a
recent CLA report which shows that LADWP’s city owned PV system produce
electricity at a rate of $.80 kwh, twice the average market rate of
other PV systems.  I spent close to an hour on the phone with this lady
and I can’t believe how she misquoted my statements and put such a
negative spin on the title and story.

The arrays on the convention center are installed on a round building
and direct sunlight only strikes sections at any given time.  This PV
system was designed as a showcase project, visible from the intersection
of the 110 and 10 freeways just south of downtown.  Public exposure was
more important than sunlight exposure.   I wont get into the shading
issues with the parking lot system installed at LADWP’s downtown
headquarters.

I have seen presentations at LADWP about future projects, seemingly
excessively customized to me and wondered to myself if these will be
audited someday by those who do not include additional value for clean,
grid-stabilizing on-site generation.  Personally I think PV is best
suited as a DSM (demand side management) retail end, customer choice
technology.  This is where the funding should be directed.

Graham