DC-DC Conversion questions [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Thu Dec 23 12:01:41 PST 2004

We can reduce your unsecured credit card debt by 40-60%.
Don’t file bankruptcy.  Be Debt Free in as little as 1 year. Take
control of your situation.  100% FREE Consultation.
http://click.topica.com/caacZptbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/KnockOutDebt

Wrenches,
I know that this will come up more and more, and I haven't seen addressed
here yet. From time to time we are asked to do major system upgrades on
older off-grid systems. In many cases the best upgrade solutions involve
raising the nominal system voltage, especially when we are replacing an
inverter with a modern sine-wave model. This is especially true with old 12V
systems, but now I even see cases where jumping from 24 to 48V would be
desireable, such as the recent job I posted about (re adding input breakers
to a PSC500) where the client wants 4kW of array on an existing 24V system.

How successful have you been running existing motor and compressor loads
through DC-DC stepdown converters? I am specificially asking about DC Sun
Frost fridges, and 12 and 24-volt Shurflo 2088 and 9300, and Flowlight
Booster pumps. I'm asking for real-world, "yeah I did it 48-24 and it's
worked well for two years" feedback, please. Any failures, notable
efficiency losses, weird glitches? What brand converter: BZ, Solar
Converters, Zane, others?

Thank you.
Allan at PosE

** Get Your Own Support-a-Cure Yellow Bracelet for $1.99 **
Show your support for finding cures for both AIDS & Cancer.
Get yours for just $1.99. This bracelet makes a difference.
http://click.topica.com/caacVlObz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Penn Media

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com