Surrette - Relay Coil Incompatibility [RE-wrenches]

Drake Chamberlin solar at ecoisp.com
Thu Dec 16 11:27:45 PST 2004

Amazing Diet Patch
http://click.topica.com/caacVmibz8Qcsbz9JC9a/MyDietPatches

A design problem has recently cropped up using Surrette batteries that
hasn't been a problem with other brands of battery.  This is one that could
lead to unexpected system failures, especially in systems where Surrette
batteries are retrofitted.

I had planned to use Idec relays with 24 VDC coils to control a
generator.  The difficulty I've come across is that the coils have a
tolerance of 30 VDC (less according to some) while the Surrette batteries
need to be equalized at up to 32 VDC.  Other brands of relays have the same
issue.

While looking for a 24 volt relay with a higher coil tolerance, I did find
one from Omron that can go up to 36 VDC.  That is great.  The problem is
that it is made to be used as a component to solder into a circuit board,
so it does not have a base or socket that is available for it.

The relay is a small unit, so it would be awkward soldering the wires on to
the small pins.  If worst comes to worst, I might do that, and pot the pins
in silicone and wrap with tape.  That is a pretty Mickey Mouse approach
that I'd rather avoid.  Or, maybe it can be mounted to a small chunk of
circuit board, which can be mounted to the enclosure, using
standoffs.  Again, It sounds like a pain and could be a potential problem
with inspectors.

Does anyone know of a source of relays with 24 volt coils, with a tolerance
of at least 32 VDC that is designed to plug into a base or socket?

Thanks in advance.

Drake

Claim your fully stuffed Christmas Stocking now
http://click.topica.com/caacVmdbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PermissionData

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com