genny and ATS [RE-wrenches]

Ron Stauffer rstauffer at rocketweb.net
Wed Dec 8 09:16:06 PST 2004

Are you serious about buying a NEW car or truck soon?
Research before stepping on the car lot and save THOUSANDS!
Get NO OBLIGATION price quotes from car dealers in your area.
http://click.topica.com/caacVmkbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/LeadClick

Keith

It sounds like this unit is very similar to the older 10kw units we have
installed.  No, you don't need an ATS as long as the your inverter has a
built in transfer switch.  The only way to safely provide two wire start is
with an engine control.  If you try to intercept the circuits on the manual
start side, you don't have any of the fault protection of crank time,
starter dropout, etc.

Wiring setups on the 10kw units was variable.  We used Dynagen controls and
had to work with their tech support to get each one to function correctly.
It is one thing to get a generator to start and stop remotely and another to
have it set up with fault protection.  The cost of the new two wire start
Colemans over the old equals the cost of the engine control and setup.

There are two additional issues you will need to address.  One is generator
battery charging.  Since this generator's intended use was residential
backup, they utilized a trickle charger off of the grid to keep the battery
topped off.  Also, verify that there is charging when the unit is running.
I have seen built in and external chargers.  Second, most auto start setups
will have some continual drain on the battery.  Once you have everything
hooked up, measure any potential current draw on the generator battery.
Setup a small appropriately sized panel & contoller to offset.

With all the additional equipment involved and problem potential, you can
see why I refer to these auto start setups as "ought to start!"

By the way, contact info for Dynagen is 888.dyn.agen www.dynagen.ca

Ron Stauffer

Free recipes to get you in shape
http://click.topica.com/caacVmfbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PermissionData