C40 and SW spec questions [RE-wrenches]

hpm at sover.net hpm at sover.net
Mon Dec 6 10:09:09 PST 2004

Amazing Diet Patch
http://click.topica.com/caacVmibz8Qcsbz9JC9a/MyDietPatches

Hi,

I have 2 different questions regarding the Xantrex C40 and the SW4024.

C40 - We installed as small array (6 Evergreen 115's)on a polemount about 100
feet away from a new off-grid house, with a C40, an SW2548, and 4 Rolls T12
batteries.  We had wanted to install an MX 60 given the distance to pole, etc.
but monety was the owners concern at this point.  The problem arose with the
C40 not charging.  After much travel back and forth, we decided that the
temperature was the problem (the house is just now being heated, but was not a
week ago.  During one visit, during full midday (albeit Vermont winter) sun, I
was able to get the C40 to operate if I warmed up the circuit board with a
lightbuld (it was near freezing in the basement, but slightly above).  As soon
as I warmed the C40 up, it began to function.  I let it cool down and it
stopped. Warmed it up again, and it worked, cooled down and it stopped.  Did
this several times with the same effect.  This was the 2nd C40  we installed
(replaced the 1st thinking it was defective since we had never run across the
issue of them not working in the cold before).  The manual says it works to 32
degrees and Xantrex confirms that, but my experience was that even above
freezing (this was after a cold night, but by the time of my arrival, the jug
of water on the floor just below the installation was completely water - so it
was at least many degrees above 32), the C40 was only operating upon being
warmed up.  To make things even more confusing, the owner now says that with
heat in the basement and full sun, he is not seeing any charge (yes, the C40 is
mounted on an insulated wall, not directly to the cold foundation).  This
location is a bit remote, so running up there again is not my first choice
without a better idea of what might make things work reliably.  If it wasn't
the second one we put in, I would just assume an intermittent failure and
replace it. (sorry for the verbose message).
My questions: Has anyone seen this before with C40's, and what is the minimum
temperature they will reliably run at?  Any ideas about what could be the issue
here, other than the C40 or the cold?

SW4024 - Another client is complaining of too much generator run time.  We
think he is using more power than he thinks.  We put in meters to read his
loads and generator input, and got some numbers that might be within reason,
depending on what the charge effeciency of the SW4024 is.  Does anyone know the
actual effeciency of the the charger in the SW - is it 80-90% or is it much
lower?

Thanks,
Howie Michaelson
Global Resource Options
Solar Wind Energy Solutions

Claim your fully stuffed Christmas Stocking now
http://click.topica.com/caacVmdbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PermissionData

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com