Kohler 8.5 RES generator [RE-wrenches]

Kirk Herander kirk at vtsolar.com
Mon Nov 22 13:49:41 PST 2004

Amazing Diet Patch
http://click.topica.com/caacOlIbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/MyDietPatches

Group,

Have any of you used this generator in an off-grid application. I have and
there are a few curves to be aware of.
The generator has a electronic controller. It is quite slick and allows for
some fancy programming, but requires power(from the starting battery) when
the generator is off. Athough the service manual states a 250 ma current
draw, the draw I measured is 685 ma. This will definitely draw the
recommended starting battery(675 CCA @ 0 degrees) down far enough to prevent
generator starting. The controller has an internal jumper, that if removed
will power down the controller after 48 hrs (in auto start mode)(and who
knows why this time period was selected by the factory), but the battery
will go dead enough before the power down. So my solution was to parallel 2
batteries together to ride through this 48 hr time period.

In addition, there is no alternator/rectifier to charge the battery. Instead
a 6 amp battery charger is included which must be wired to an AC
source(grid, inverter, or the generator itself) to keep it charged. I
measured the ac power draw of the charger at 100 watts(ie. 2400 whrs/day).
Not too practical off an inverter, unless its put on a timer. The old 8.5
RMY did not have these hassles.

Vermont Solar Engineering
Kirk Herander
North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners
Certified Solar PV Installer(TM)
Xantrex Certified Dealer Charter Member
NYSERDA-eligible installer
Vermont Solar and Wind Partner

PO Box 697
Burlington, VT. 05402
www.vermontsolar.com
www.backeastsolar.com
800.286.1252 - 802.863.1202
fax 802.863.7908

Stock car lovers - get a FREE gift here!
http://click.topica.com/caacSnKbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PermissionData

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com