DC plugs and outlets [RE-wrenches]

Kurt Nelson sunwise at cheqnet.net
Wed Nov 17 08:35:16 PST 2004

Attention Women! Win a $50,000 Ultimate Makeover! Become the
newest “Hottie” on the block. Or use the $50,000 how you wish.
Make it yours below!
http://click.topica.com/caacR6Pbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Vente

Greetings all,

I do primarily off-grid systems that are rarely inspected.  Many of my
systems have some DC stuff, perhaps a light or two for if the inverter
is down, maybe a stereo and perhaps a ceiling fan.

The cigarette lighter socket is a very poor design and is (un)suitable
for 12 volt DC only.  I usually use 240V 15 A outlets and plugs.  I have
also done a number of houses that have both 24 and 12 VDC in the home.

QUESTION -- Is the ground of such outlets capable of carrying rated
current??  It seems like it should be.  I'd like to start using the 240,
15 A, outlet for both 12 and 24 volt outlets, using the ground as the
negative and one of the horizontal plugs for 24 volt and the other for
12.  I'd maybe even pull 10/3 Romex to these outlets and wire them for
both voltages at the get-go (most homes I do only have two or three DC
outlets).

Thoughts appreciated -- Kurt Nelson

Free recipes to get you in shape
http://click.topica.com/caacQ4Obz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PermissionData