Tankless Water Heater without pilot [RE-wrenches]

Scott Crawford crawfordscot at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 09:35:27 PDT 2004

The Noritz will work like the Takagi and is very similar.
Not sure who spun-off from who. We have never used one.
Both need 120Vac and are power vented
Some disadvantages i see are:
-Noritz 063/069 has range of 29K btuh - 195K btuh. Higher output on
the low side(min firing rate) compared to 17K btuh of Takagi JR.
-Needs min incoming water psi of 29 vs 15 psi of Takagi JR. This may
affect some off grid sites.
-Noritz manual states " Do not use with ground water or well water".
They are worried about the heat exchanger plugging up. The water
passages
in these units ( and most instantaneous heat exchangers) are VERY
small and prone
to hard water scaling. Noritz is the only manufacturer we know of flat
out saying not to use away from city water. Not sure how this affects its
Warranty when used on a well.??  Have not seen issues with Aquastars
this way locally.
Also suggest putting mixing valve between solar preheat and
instantaneous unit so it does not see excessive water temps.

Scott
Solar Assist
crawfordscot at gmail.com

Do you know if the Noritz will work like a Takagi with solar pre-heat?  We
have a good source for Noritz.  My understanding is Takagi is a Noritz
spin-off.
--
Mo Rousso
President