concrete [RE-wrenches]

Geoff Greenfield Geoff at Third-Sun.Com
Wed Sep 29 07:07:09 PDT 2004

We do a lot of top of pole racks, often 11' above grade.  We have had
engineered foundations as simple as 6" pipe in 24" hole, 1" rebar through
bottom of pipe (for resistance to twisting AND it helps us use a strap to
control the somewhat too exciting process of lowering the pipe into the 6'
deep hole).  We use a 6 x 6 weld wire mesh about 2" in from the exterior of
the concrete, form up above grade with a 6" section of sono-tube, run all
conduit pre-pour (trench to about 6" from the hole and then poke conduit
through to avoid concrete spooge-out). Place concrete pretty stiff and
vibrate it as you go, especially the top. (You can rig a vibrator with a
drill and any offset piece of metal "L" shaped - we use an old, larger chuck
key.  hold this contraption against a shovel in the concrete and watch it
flow.  Warning - this industrial strength vibrator is not rated for bedroom
use! And it looks silly... but it works.  Over-vibration can settle out your
aggregate.)

The biggest ingredient here is filling the pipe with concrete - makes a BIG
difference in lateral load resistance.  A (larger) bobcat with an auger and
a 2' extension can go about 6'6" max.  Have had very frustrating days with
sheered pins (have spare 1/2" bolts on hand) and dull carbide teeth on the
auger (frigen rental companies... demand quality or go somewhere else...).

With the price of steel through the roof, we are considering having a pole
engineered and fabricated with a base and reinforcing fluting to be bolted
onto threaded rod "L"-s on a rebar cage...  but that would be more labor
etc...  Any thoughts?

Sincerely,

Geoff Greenfield
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer TM
GLREA Certified Photovoltaic Systems Integrator/Installer License Number
0211-01

THIRD SUN SOLAR AND WIND POWER Ltd.
340 West State Street, Unit 25
Athens, OH 45701