UPS applications (was: Grid-Tie Inverters with Batteries) [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Mon Sep 13 15:19:48 PDT 2004

Click here and walk away with your free Chevy collectible.
http://click.topica.com/caacDvMbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PermissionData

Joel Davidson wrote:
> I'm hearing more about PV UPS shortcomings. Anyone try a high voltage
> spike or other grid anomalies on a grid-tied Outback? Do the folks at
> Outback have any caveats about their grid-tie UPS capability?

We here at OutBack are very familiar with UPS applications - outside
North America we often sell the OutBack FX inverters specifically for
UPS type applications - except as a UPS that can also run laser printers
and air conditioners in addition to the usual computers/phones/networks.
 When you live in a place where the power is OFF more than it is ON,
having a computer working but no lights, printers or air conditioning
doesn't help much...

We have made considerable advances in the detection circuitry of the FX
inverters compared to older inverter designs which speeds up the
response to grid anomalies - such as high voltage spike conditions.

We even have demonstrated the 120 vac units ability to not only survive
being hit with 240 VAC while running (such as when the neutral conductor
of a split phase 120/240 grid connection is lost) but it also responded
fast enough to protect the loads down stream in the tests we did.

In the real Uninterruptable Power Supply world - if you want 100%
protection that you should look at dual conversion type UPS systems
where the utility power is converted into DC and then back into AC power
- so the loads never are actually connected to the utility grid - this
provides the most protection and ensures the highest reliability.  It
also is the most expensive and least efficient type of UPS.  Most people
find the cost is too high and the limitations of the units to severe for
there application - and look for other solutions.

Some people also combine a stand-by type UPS for the majority of the
loads and then add a small dual conversion type UPS for the most
critical loads (such as Doug Pratts UNIX server).  This is often the
best solution all road as the off-line UPS typically only has enough
battery for a few minutes of operation itself.

So the bottom line is that we here at OutBack think the FX is a pretty
good Stand-by UPS that also can power lots of loads typical UPS systems
say they can't run - and also works well with PV and back-up generators
as well.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas @ outbackpower.com
www.outbackpower.com
Arlington WA USA
Tel 360 435 6030

Is Gay Marriage a Civil Rights Issue? Click here and win.
http://click.topica.com/caacDvRbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PermissionData

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com