wind info [RE-wrenches]

Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services toddcory at finestplanet.com
Thu Jul 15 07:57:34 PDT 2004

Get a Great Credit Card for You Today
You can find a credit card to fit your credit needs.
All types of credit cards -- 0% APRs, Rewards, & Bad Credit.
http://click.topica.com/caacpgdbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/411Web

Any of you wind folks know about this machine? Seems like the reluctance
to putting wind machines in urban environments (other than the
turbulence from buildings etc.) is the noise. This report however seems
to blame the noise on the gearbox rather then the prop??

Todd

http://www.windflow.co.nz/latestnews/ , or for printing:
http://www.windflow.co.nz/archives/mediareleases/release_july15_04.html
(15 July 2004) is:

Windflow sound solution achieved

Windflow Technology has solved the sound level problem of its wind
turbine at
Gebbies Pass (near Christchurch), and Chief Executive Officer Geoff
Henderson is
confident it can now operate within the terms of the Company's Resource
Consent.
The wind turbine, with a modified gearbox was reinstalled earlier this
week, and
the Company has been monitoring its sound emissions.

"Our early monitoring shows that we're now operating within our Resource
Consent
requirements," said Mr Henderson. "While we have yet to confirm it with
the
District Council, this is very good news."

Earlier this year, the Company identified that gearbox vibration was the
source
of the noise problem, and it returned the prototype gearbox to the
Auckland-based supplier for a series of modifications. The effects were
measured
on a $200,000 test rig that Windflow has manufactured to factory-test
the
prototype and all future gearboxes for the Windflow machines.

"The problem noise was caused by vibrations at 311 Hz being amplified by
the
rotor. That gave rise to a tone at that frequency in the windmill's
sound
spectrum. Factory testing has shown that our modifications have totally
removed
these vibrations," said Mr Henderson. "And now our field monitoring has
confirmed that we have eliminated this tone. The residual sound levels
are much
lower, and importantly, tonal characteristics are absent."

The local council, Banks Peninsula District, has a maximum sound level
of 40 dBA
for night-time rural environments. "During the Resource Consent
consultation
process, we identified that the neighbouring McQueens Valley has a
uniquely
quiet environment," said Mr Henderson. "So we offered to comply with a
maximum
level of 30 dBA at all times. We now believe that our gearbox ranks
among the
world's quietest wind turbine gearboxes."

The Company will now ask the Council to have its independent acoustic
consultant
verify its readings before resuming normal operation. "In the past we
have not
taken this step because our own readings showed we had a problem," said
Mr
Henderson.

Next week, Windflow will invite neighbours and media to a 'Public
Hearing' of
the Gebbies Pass windmill.

ENDS

More information:
Tim Armitage
Armitage Consultancy

Apply now for a No-Annual-Fee Discover® Platinum Card
0% Intro APR*, No Annual Fee, Up to 2% Cashback Bonus®
award* Start Saving Today – APPLY NOW! It's fast, easy and
secure.
http://click.topica.com/caacpgwbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/DiscoverCard

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm