neutral and ground in the ground? [RE-wrenches]

Geoff Greenfield Geoff at Third-Sun.Com
Thu Jun 17 05:47:34 PDT 2004

Apply now for a No-Annual-Fee Discover® Platinum Card
0% Intro APR*, No Annual Fee, Up to 2% Cashback Bonus®
award* Start Saving Today – APPLY NOW! It's fast, easy and
secure.
http://click.topica.com/caaciqQbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Discover Card

I am getting different answers from the EE and the inverter manufacturer on
this one, so I throw it out to this list as well:

The situation:  A Vanner RE-4500 utility interactive inverter (120/240 VAC
output) is currently operating stand alone (with minimal and often no loads,
ground rod and grounded neutral at AC panel).  The scope of the project is
to trench 1,100 feet and tie the system into the grid at a building's load
panel in order to "sell" excess power.

The question:  What wires do I need?  Obviously L1 and L2, but what about
neutral and what about ground?

Obviously, I want to do this right and safely, but with 2/0 wire at today's
prices I don't want to be wasteful. If I do need a ground and or neutral,
what about under sizing them?  Amps is only 18-20 peak, wire sized 2/0 for
line loss.

The EE on this project thinks we can skip the ground and isn't sure of the
neutral.

Hope someone can help me out on this... I'm even thinking of calling John
Wiles...

Sincerely,

Geoff Greenfield
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer TM
GLREA Certified Photovoltaic Systems Integrator/Installer License Number
0211-01

THIRD SUN SOLAR AND WIND POWER Ltd.
340 West State Street, Unit 25
Athens, OH 45701

Phone (740) 597-3111
Fax   (740) 597-1548

www.third-sun.com

End of RE-wrenches at topica.com digest, issue 1482
---

Empower your Team with Remote Access. GoToMyPC Pro
provides your organization with instant remote access to
email,files, applications and network resources in real
time. FREE TRIAL:
http://click.topica.com/caaciqTbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ExpertCity

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm