Arguments for/against whole house disconnect [RE-wrenches]

ted r lowe trl at creativespirits.org
Thu Jun 10 16:16:58 PDT 2004

Give Your Team Access to Their PCs from Anywhere. Increase
productivity with a secure remote-access solution from
GoToMyPC Pro. Stay in touch with your office. FREE TRIAL:
http://click.topica.com/caaciqXbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ExpertCity

Hi Wrenches,

I'm doing a small gird-tie PV system for a client in a city that has never
had one before.
The city which runs its own municipal electric utility is putting the
finishing touches on an PV interconnection
guidelines document and I''ve been asked to comment on the document (due to
my involvement
in the solar industry and that my client is requiring the document be
completed soon).

There is one requirement that I am questioning the usefulness of.

An outside lockable AC disconnect for the entire house (ie, 200A) is required
(versus a smaller lockable AC disconnect for just the inverter output).

In my opinion, this seems like overkill, ie, doesn't provide any additional
safety and would
increase the cost of the system (a little bit).

I'd appreciate your comments on this issue.  Have you seen this requirement
before elsewhere,
and if so, what was the reasoning behind it (besides
safetyaholism:-).   I'm hoping to build
a case for removing the requirement from the guidelines so this client and
possibly many future
systems don't have to spend the money for a piece of equipment that is
unnecessary.

Thanks,
ted

Empower your Team with Remote Access. GoToMyPC Pro
provides your organization with instant remote access to
email,files, applications and network resources in real
time. FREE TRIAL:
http://click.topica.com/caaciqTbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ExpertCity

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm