Inverter Shoot-Out continues [RE-wrenches]

Marco Mangelsdorf marco at pvthawaii.com
Sun Mar 28 13:33:17 PST 2004

**** Bounces like rubber! Shatters like ceramic! ****
Discover Crazy Aaron's Thinking Putty in grown up
handfuls. It's the creativity unleashing, mood enhancing
desk toy!
http://click.topica.com/caab5n2bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ Crazy Aaron Enterprises

Boy, oh boy, little did I know that my simple request would invite such a
dialogue, and a good one at that.

According to Michael's posting of Henry C's message: "I think using solar
panels to verify inverters is the wrong approach."

Come on now...what else exactly are good, safe, UL-listed inverters supposed
to do but maximize their AC output from any given PV array?!  I gotta agree
with both Chris F. and Matt--the one who draws on Universal
Energies--Lafferty that the bottom line for inverter performance is not the
blizzard of test data from IV curve tracers, etc. but AC kWh output.  All
this technical stuff is all fascinating, but we in the industry have to stay
focused on providing the end-users the most useful information.  We gotta
speak their language.  We have to explain system operation in the clearest,
most simple terms.  We have to emphasize reliability, the ease of
maintenance and, perhaps most importantly, how it makes such great financial
sense to install a grid-connected PV system in many parts of the country,
not to mention a growing number of countries in the world.

On another note, are there any others out there at least slightly concerned
about limited module availability and rising $/watt module costs in 2004?
The news I'm getting is disconcerting.  'Sounds like those Germans are
sucking up lots and lots of product and Italy will be implementing a 300 MW
RE program.

gulp....
marco

Marco Mangelsdorf