Fwd: Results of 2005 Article 690 Proposals, [RE-wrenches]

Michael Welch michael.welch at homepower.com
Mon Mar 22 11:15:00 PST 2004

Hi gang. Just received this. Have posted the accompanying documents in the PUB directory of the Home Power ftp site, ftp.homepower.com.

They are called:
FINALVotes_Statements.doc
NEC-ROC04-p7-690.doc;

>From: "Bower, Ward" <wibower at sandia.gov>
>Subject: Results of 2005 Article 690 Proposals,
>Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:06:22 -0700
>
>Dear Forum Members,
>
>The NEC 2005 cycle is nearly complete.  I have attached two documents that
>provide a summary of proposals and public comments and the actions taken on
>each.  The Technical Correlating Committee (TCC) has also met and the
>results of its actions are reflected in the table and in the comprehensive
>summary document.  The table document shows an overview all of the proposals
>and the follow up public comments.  Where there is no public comment, the
>code making panel action on the proposal is shown under the ballot column.
>The summary document highlights in red italics the latest form of language
>that will appear in the 2005 NEC.  Note there are two proposals and
>follow-on public comments that have been placed on hold by the TCC.  Both
>can be show stoppers.  Proposal 13-26 and follow-on public comment 13-12 was
>changed during panel meetings to remove the term "or" and that essentially
>creates what I feel is a product specification rather than an installation
>requirement.  Proposal 13-52 and follow-on public comment 13-37 also looks
>like a product specification but one that could not be met since the
>switches addressed are typically inside the inverter.  I will keep everybody
>informed as the HOLD status is investigated.  Note on the table that the
>industry forum input is shaded in blue when it was accepted or accepted in
>principle.  A single block is shaded in green where forum input was
>rejected.  Comments are short just to help navigate.  Note there are some
>comments that show where work on the next code cycle should be considered.
>
>Thanks to everybody that provided input to the proposals that were submitted
>by John Wiles on behalf of the forum.  Also much thanks to John for
>formatting the proposals and working through the many discussions with
>individuals or groups before going forward with the proposal.  All the
>proposals were the consensus of those participating in the discussions.  I
>note that we did a great job of selecting the proposals that continued to
>assure safe installations of PV systems, while at the same time addressing
>critical issues such as allowing ungrounded PV arrays or allowing the remote
>location for disconnecting means.  Note also that there was a lot of input
>from the public both at the proposal stage and at the public comment stage.
>This is very encouraging and shows a great deal of public interest in the
>photovoltaic industry.
>
>Best Regards,
>
>Ward Bower
>Sandia National Laboratories
>Solar Systems
>MS0703
>Albuquerque, NM  87185-0703
>Ph.505-844-5206
>Fax 505-844-7786

Michael Welch

------------------------
"When our children fail competency tests the schools lose funding. When our missiles fail tests, we increase funding."
                  Dennis Kucinich

Michael Welch, michael.welch at homepower.com
     Home Power magazine
     www.homepower.com