African customers and my first system [RE-wrenches]

Geoff Greenfield Geoff at Third-Sun.Com
Thu Mar 18 07:17:17 PST 2004

(Warning - entering less than technical rant mode)

I have a legitimate customer and project in Sierra Leone and another in
Kenya.  The first deal was a handshake and a cashed US banc check as the
fellow was a grad student getting ready to return to his family compound in
Freetown.  Interesting use of electricity... the government would regularly
cut off power to areas of the city that were not cowering to his political
will - It's really amazing how the other half (2/3) lives and what we take
for granted as far as government and civilization etc.  There sure are a lot
of things we can do better on, but it really blows my mind how well we get
along in general.

The second deal was with a tiny non-profit called "JUA" - the Swahili word
for sun.  Run by a Kenyan electrical and a former Peace Corps Volunteer it
does occasional low tech lighting projects at schools.  At the equator it is
dark from 6-6 year round, and these kids are doing their best to study by
kerosene or diesel lamps...  poor light, soot and lung problems, plus the
use of non-existent hard cash to get the fuel.

They have to add to the other typical derates the practice of welding a cage
around the solar panels so they don't walk off (I suggested secure
hardware...).  Solar panels are very sought after items over there.
Batteries continue to be the week link (familiar issue) with old truck
starting batteries often the only thing available.  We used these on my very
first PV install - I was a Peace Corps Volunteer in Zaire (Congo....
Zaire.... Congo... another disastrous Kleptocracy that we are partially
responsible for).  There was a box in the corner of the health clinic full
of panels and equipment.  It was gathering dust as it was donated by a
German non-profit and all the instructions ver en deutch...  Thanks to about
6 issues of HOME POWER read over the years this aspiring solar bozo got it
running.  It is still lighting up late night births and other clinic
activities (I hope/assume)

Anywayz...  desperate places and desperate times lead to desperados doing
desperate things - scams abound worldwide... here we wear ties and do it
with Cayman Island LLPs and bogus energy futures trading, over there it's
any way they can.  I hope for a solar future for ALL of us and look forward
to another legit project in Africa someday falling in between the scam
artists... lets not write them ALL off.

After all, they taught this stiff white boy how to beat the drums...
(Rant over)

Sincerely,

Geoff Greenfield
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer TM
GLREA Certified Photovoltaic Systems Integrator/Installer License Number
0211-01

THIRD SUN SOLAR AND WIND POWER Ltd.
340 West State Street, Unit 25
Athens, OH 45701