SW Plus [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Fri Feb 6 20:22:16 PST 2004

Fellow Wrenches,
I have noticed that nobody has posted any evaluations of the SW+
inverter. Here are my observations, comparing the SW+ with an Outback FX. I
used an early Outback FX2024 (Ser. #55 with later internal upgrades to
current specs) for about 6 months last year, then switched to a SW+2524 in
December. This is a straightforward 24V offgrid system in my own home.

SW+ Pros:
1. The clearest and best-written manuals I have yet seen in our industry.
2. The Plus is very easy to program and set up, with three successive
levels. Very user-friendly this way, and more straightforward than Outback's
Mate.
3. Good AC charging. It held 68A DC during a deep charge from a Yamaha
3000iSE (at 6700', so around 2300 watts @120VAC after altitude deration) up
to over 29 volts. The FX charged at about 57A initially, but ramped back to
around 45A over the same duration as the nonvented unit heated up.

Cons:
1. This new unit has a search adjustment down to 8W, rather than the old 16W
of the SW. However, at 8W, my unit wouldn't go into search mode, even with
the AC input/output breakers shut off.
2. It's quieter than the SW and way quieter than the PS, but still noisier
than the FX.
3. It's not sine wave. I first noticed this when I picked up inverter buzz
in the speakers on my older Dynaco home stereo system. No buzz with the
Outback.
4. It uses a nicely-designed AC disconnect with built-in IBS and DIN rail
for four additional QOU breakers. However, this ACCB is 10 3/4" wide. The
NEC-required DC disconnect is the same size, and isn't set up to hold
anything, so it can't be used in place of a DC175 (or Outback PSDC). So the
width of a SW+ with AC and DC conduit boxes and DC disconnect and 2" offset
nipple is (21 + 10 3/4 + 10 3/4 + 10 1/2 + 2 =) 55". This is huge visually.
5. No series/parallel autoformer stacking.

My opinion:
1. It does what it does very well, but the mod-sine waveform makes it
inferior in the current era of true sine waveforms.
2. I'm not sure what its market niche is. Its size with conduit box(es)
makes it hard to fit into an existing system as an inverter upgrade. The
Xantrex DC175/250 has long been limited as a DC enclosure for all but simple
systems, and Outback's PS2 integrated system fits a full package of modern
products into a smaller package. So unless Xantrex has a major BOS system
package on the way with better features than Outback's current offerings,
I'm not sure as a Wrench where to specify it in a system design.

Just my $.02. Anyone else chime in here?
Allan at Positive Energy

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm