Higher than 48 nom Arrays (was Different perspectives,) [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Fri Jan 9 15:43:46 PST 2004

There are actually several different ratings on the OBPV breakers we use
in our PSPV combiner boxes. The one printed on the front is just one of
its multiple listings.

The 80 vdc 7500 amp interrupt rating is the UL489 approval - essentially
the "branch circuit" rating for use as a load breaker or other general
purpose application.  This is a pretty tough standard for breakers. It
applies to use of the breaker with battery systems for instance.

The combiner box is actually what is called a supplementary application
- meaning the UL489 approval of the breakers is not required.  In this
case a lower rating for interrupt is acceptable.  The applicable rating
for this application is the 125 vdc 2000 amp rating that is marked on
the side of the breaker.  Even this rating is overkill as the PV array
can not produce anything near these kinds of currents - PV is a pretty
wimpy power source from a breaker perspective.

As far as using these breakers with 72 vdc applications - I have no
problem with it - even though the open circuit voltage of the PV array
in cold temps can exceed 125 vdc - these breakers will handle it - and
the factory testing I have reviewed and personal experience with these
breakers confirms this.

Also - its funny how we as an industry are concerned with exceeding the
125 vdc rating on a DC breaker by a few volts - but we think nothing of
exceeding the 120 VAC rating on AC breaker with a generator putting out
140 vac unloaded?  Seems strange hugh?  Even a utility grid can be 132
vac (especially when an inverter is backfeeding the breaker as in a
grid-tie application).

I guess it must be that the PV output is more dangerous than AC power
from a utility grid?

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas @ outbackpower.com
www.outbackpower.com
Arlington WA USA
Tel 360 435 6030

Travis Creswell wrote:
> I must admit that I'm a little nervous about wiring the array for 72
> volts.  Could you address the issue of the Outback's DC breakers AIC
> rating of 7.5k amps at 80 volts.  What is the AIC rating at 105 or
> higher?  This is an easily attainable MPP voltage during cold weather.
> I've seen solar equipment supposedly rated at 125 VDC fail at 100 volts
> or less is why I ask.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm