ratcheting cyclometers [RE-wrenches]

Kelly Keilwitz kelly at whidbeysunwind.com
Mon Dec 15 16:28:35 PST 2003

Hi Doug & Wrenches,
Thanks for the idea. This sounds like a good, simple solution. Has anyone
tried it?

Austin International tells me they can't add detents (make them ratcheting)
to their standard single phase cyclometer. They do have "crazy reverse dial"
meters with detents. Or they will sell me ABB Alpha electronic meters that
will record 2-way for $50.

Anyone know of other sources for cyclometers with detents?

Thanks,
-Kelly

Kelly Keilwitz, P.E.
Whidbey Sun & Wind
Renewable Energy Systems
kelly at whidbeysunwind.com
Ph & Fax: 360-678-7131
Renewable Energy Now!

> <snip>
> But, is it possible to distinguish between grid feed and PV feed to the
> subpanel? <snip>
>

> Simple. Using a standard 240v utility meter, wire the 120v leg from the
> SW output to the subpanel so that power passing to the subpanel spins
> the meter forward. Wire the other 120v leg so that power passing from
> the main panel to the SW input spins the meter backwards.
>
> If the SW is simply passing utility power straight thru to the subpanel,
> you'll have no meter action. The two currents cancel each other out. If
> the SW is pushing solar power to the subpanel, the meter spins forward.
> If the SW is pushing solar power to the subpanel *and* the utility, the
> meter spins forward faster.
>
> This ought to still work just fine with a ratcheted meter so that night
> time battery charging isn't deducted.
>
> *Caution*, I must admit I haven't DONE this, but I can't see any problem
> with it. We run meters forward and backward like this all the time. If
> I'm missing something obvious, I'm sure we'll all hear about it. :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Doug Pratt

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com