Utility raids CEC rebate funds for 5 MW solar project [RE-wrenches]

Dean T. Newberry deant at dcn.org
Mon Dec 8 23:25:11 PST 2003

<x-flowed>
Great Rant Matt.
I was Just talking with the Master Rantor on Energy, Dan Berman he wrote
"Who Owns the Sun". We are ready to start the Public Power Research
Institute a 501-C3
to provide a method to fund research and advocacy for real alternatives
to investor owned utilities.  Tilting at windmills has always provided
distraction from the pain of running a small contracting business in
Calif' today,I will just try and do it better and with greater effect as
I get older.
cul deant

mlafferty at universalenergies.com wrote:

>FIRST AMMENDMENT DISCLAIMER:  THE ORIGINAL TEXT, CONTENT, INTENT,
>"INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS", AND RESPONSIBILITY THEREFORE ARE HEREBY
>RESERVED AND ACCEPTED BY MYSELF PERSONALLY, WITH PREJUDICE....
>
>(Bottom line: What follows is from me, by me, and in no way is intended
>to be construed as related to, on behalf of, or in affiliation with any
>organization or group I may or may not be associated with.... Just me...
>Nothing more...)
>
>All:
>
>First of all, I was one of a bunch of us at the CPUC hearing last
>Thursday.  About a dozen of us spoke on the record in opposition to this
>piece of BS.  I've spent many hours since (as have a couple others we
>know), digging in the mud for the facts and relationships "beneath the
>surface"... I'm not done with the issue yet, but will withold my
>"comments" regarding the "to-date" findings for a future time... Please
>understand the complexities and sensitivities involved here!
>(Personally, I can't wait to scream from the rooftops!  Biting my tongue
>is something I've had to learn, but still don't like to do!)
>
>The "project" in question is not technically being "installed" by a
>utility.  Nor is it purported to be "owned" by them.  It is a
>"green-power" purchase contract... At least that's the way it's being
>touted and "sold"... The premise is that the entity/entities involved
>will develop and maintain the facility while selling the power to SCE.
>Much appears to be amiss with this "project", but the "tracks" appear to
>be fairly well covered and not "on the surface" so far.  Preliminary
>2-Cents.
>
>Some suspected and perhaps related "fallout" is being witnessed today in
>SCE's territory by at least of couple of Wrenches that I've heard from.
>My suspicion is that this is directly tied to and timed to coincide with
>the CPUC's vote last week.
>
>Throw it out there, guys!  Did I correctly hear that SCE is notifying PV
>Contractors that "Your systems will be locked out for non-compliance
>with our new 'policy'?"  Hmmmm?  Is that the new policy that says, "SCE
>must receive a copy of a signed-off final building permit within 30 days
>of your application."????
>
>Let me get this right...
>
>You can't be approved for CEC Buydown Reservation funds until you've got
>an approved Interconnection Agreement form from the Utility (Right or
>Wrong????)
>
>The time period from Utility Application Submittal to "I've received the
>Agreement", assuming everything is "correct" on the application, is like
>at least two weeks (Right or Wrong????)
>
>The time period from Interconnection Agreement Receipt to CEC
>Reservation Confirmation Receipt is currently running in excess of 4
>months (Right or Wrong????)
>
>Any "reasonable person" (A valid and long-standing legal standard, by
>the way... Don't forget that for the future!  We may need to refer to
> [...]

* Cooperative Community Energy* 	*Dean T. Newberry*

430 D Street, Davis CA, 95616
Tel: 530 758-6064
Fax: 530 758-3684
Email: deant at dcn.org