NABCEP trig questions [RE-wrenches]

graham at solarexpert.com graham at solarexpert.com
Mon Dec 1 15:22:17 PST 2003

I struggled with the trig part of the test because most of the roofs I
work on are pitched and the solar panels are installed flush.  For flat
roofs or pitched roofs that need precise panel angles I used an
inclinometer, aluminum angle and tape measure.  I hold the aluminum at
the desired tilt with help from my trusty inclinometer and measure the
length of the legs needed.  Knowing these trig formulas will make this
task faster and easier to document and I wish I had known of SOHCAHTOA
before taking the test.   I do remember the color codes for resistors
from 9th grade electronics class.  black, brown, red, orange, yellow,
green, blue, violet, gray, white. (bad boys rape our young girls but
violet gives willingly) This is probably the most memorable thing I
learned in 9th grade.  I do know that I wouldn’t have passed the NABCEP
test without the study guide even though I have been installing solar
since 1982.  Having taken and passed the test I have continued to study
the topics I felt weakest in.  I wish I had known that the x/1 key needs
to be pressed after the trig key to find the degrees.

Graham

--On Monday, December 01, 2003 5:00 PM -0500 "Jeffery Wolfe, Global
Resource Options" <jeff at globalresourceoptions.com> wrote:

> The way I learned to memorize the trig functions as a kid was through
> a stupid saying:
>
> Oliver Holds Ancient Hats Over Apples
>
> That's O/H (= Sin), A/H (=Cos), O/A (=Tan).
>
> Believe me, I use this mnemonic almost every day. All the other
> formulas are simply derived from these.

Or as we were taught (and someone mentioned earlier) SOHCAHTOA

Sin = Opposite/Hypotenuse
Cos = Adjacent/Hypotenuse
Tan = Opposite/Adjacent

- - - -