Cycling of new batteries [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar ozsolar at ipa.net
Sun Nov 30 09:25:25 PST 2003

I'm currently going though something very similar with a set of new big
4 volt Surrettes (4v, 1350 AH @ C/20).  Except, the issue started before
a cycle of any significance.  The solar charge controller is able to
hold the 1350 ah battery bank at 29.6 volts with less than 15 amps
(array is capable of over 35).  By most peoples standard you can't get
much more fully charged than that. The Trimetric agrees as well.  Yet,
SG at this time is 1210-1220 for all cells.  All cells checked out to
1270 or higher when they arrived and several checks over the next few
months they were also above 1270.

Per Surrettes instructions I've set the absorption time to 4 hours
(thanks to the folks at Outback for their fine MX60 I can do that) yet I
cannot get the SG above 1220.  The only thing that makes any sense to me
is the batteries are so new they still aren't broke in yet.  Surrette
does state that the batteries need 40-60 cycles before they will reach
full capacity.  They don't define how deep of cycle although.  Since
this is an off grid hunting lodge it only gets used twice a month.  It
could take a while to get to 60 cycles.

I'll report back when I know more.

Regards,
Travis Creswell