SW inverter to battery cable calculation [RE-wrenches]

Mark Edmunds mark.edmunds at xantrex.com
Fri Nov 28 12:36:01 PST 2003

Hi All,

Inverter charges do have substantial AC ripple current components on their
dc input, and I agree with John B., the 28A is probably an estimate of what
the impact on total rms current will be. I look forward to seeing what John
Wiles can say regarding this. In the past the assumption has been that the
NEC 1.25 factor will cover for this extra heating effect.

Either way the efficiency number to use for the SW when doing cable and fuse
size calculations is 85%, which represents worst case operation with a
combination of low battery voltage (at the low input protection level) full
power output, and maximum ambient temperature. There is slight variation
from unit to unit, but this is close. Page 131 of the SW manual has this
already worked out, as a helpful guide - you can find the manual at:

http://www.xantrex.com/support/docserve.asp?id=602
<http://www.xantrex.com/support/docserve.asp?id=602>

Regards,

Mark Edmunds