Hornet wind turbine? [RE-wrenches]

Hugh Piggott hugh at scoraigwind.co.uk
Wed Nov 19 10:00:57 PST 2003

<x-flowed>

At 10:09 AM -0700 19/11/03, Windy Dankoff, Dankoff Solar wrote:
>Wrenches,
>
>anybody know anything about this company or product?
>
>http://www.hydrogenappliances.com/index.html

Ths question comes up on the a-w-h list from time to time.

Here are Paul Gipe, Mike Klemen and Doug Elsam

First Paul..............
September 14, 2001

Stirring Up a Hornet's Nest: New Turbine Generates Controversy

Copyright 2001 by Paul Gipe. All rights reserved. No portion of this
article may be copied or circulated without the express permission of the
author.

"We're not a very sophisticated company," Bob Green says humbly. Others
agree. The awea-wind-home web site is buzzing with questions about the
audacious claims of Green and his company, Thermodyne Systems of Lancaster,
California.

According to Green, Thermodyne has built about 70 of the 8-foot diameter
turbines in the past eight months. Most have been shipped to Canada and
Africa, he says. All for battery-charging.

Though their web site, www.hydrogenappliances.com depicts a hinged tower,
Green now says the company no longer provides towers.

Green says he and the company's three employees have built 20 to 30
hydrogen electrolizers in addition to the multiblade wind turbines.

Despite Green's claim that the company has been experimenting with wind
"for the past ten years", the firm has yet to master the fundamentals of
wind energy.

Green is quick to say that the power promised on the metal shop's web site
is "peak" power, and he explains that after they apply the load the "rotor
starts slowing down."

As Michael Klemen, a wind experimenter in North Dakota, has noted, the low
wind performance of the turbine exceeds reality.

At 5 mph, the web site claims the Hornet will produce 640% of the power
available in the wind; at 12 mph, 117%; at 22 mph, 49%; at 28 mph, 35%. The
Hornet's performance at 22 mph and 28 mph would make it one of the most
efficient small wind turbines ever built--even exceeding the aggressive
performance advertised for the Air 403 of 31%. The Hornet's performance at
5 mph and 12 mph is clearly impossible according to our understanding of
physical laws governing the power available in the wind.

Such wild claims for the Hornet could come back to sting Thermodyne in
litigious California.

-30-

Paul Gipe is the author of Wind Power for Home & Business, Wind Energy
Comes of Age, Wind Energy Basics, and Energía Eólica Práctica.

Mike Klemen did a good answer back in February

--
Hugh

in Edinburgh
http://www.scoraigwind.co.uk/